Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Q re media server how-to

2006-03-27 15:55:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Q re media server how-to
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:55:09 -0800
I am looking for suggestions about setting up a media server. My experience
with NBU is limited to a single master/media server with multiple clients,
all attached to a public IP network, but my new NBU environment is somewhat
different:

- Solaris master/media server, attached to public network and a SAN
- 2 Solaris media servers, attached to public network and a SAN
- Numerous UNIX & Windows clients, all on public network
- Tape library with LTO3 drives attached to the SAN

There is one SAN. The media servers have storage on the SAN dedicated to
them and they function as file servers for clients which need disk space.

I have already set up the master/media server (NBU 6.0) and successfully
tested backups/restores of itself and a public network client using the
SAN-attached tape drives in the library. My next step is to set up a media
server so that it can backup itself and its SAN-attached storage to the
SAN-attached tape drives resident in the tape library. I have installed NBU
6.0 and the SAN media server license on the first media server.

It's not obvious to me how to move forward at this point. I need to make
the tape drives visible to the media server and configure a policy for
running backups on the media server. I am assuming that this policy will
exist on the master server. I also have the SSO option so it is my
understanding that the media server should be able to use any of the tape
drives rather than a dedicated subset. Is there a particular manual which
describes how to do all this? Any suggestions are welcome.

Jeff Dykzeul
Raytheon Space & Airborne Systems