Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sharing tapedrives with Linux Media servers

2006-03-22 09:36:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sharing tapedrives with Linux Media servers
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:36:56 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,

I've been fighting with sharing tapedrives with a Linux media server
for about a month now and I'd really appreciate some help.

My problem lies not with the sharing but with the linux device paths
becoming unconfigured when the linux server is rebooted.  I have 2
Solaris servers and 1 Linux server, and the drives are in an 8-drive
library connected to a fiber-channel switch.

When I reboot the Linux server when any of the tape drives is in use
by the other servers, my Linux server won't configure any of them and
ltid won't start.  This behavior is unique to shared tape drives; if
I configure a couple of drives in the library as dedicated to the Linux
media server, then the device files persist across reboots.

I've just ordered 2 more Linux boxes to replace the Solaris boxes
because of their superior throughput so I have to get this issue resolve.

Thanks for any help.

--kathy