Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP, Mirapoint E-Mail Appliance and Speed

2006-03-22 08:44:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP, Mirapoint E-Mail Appliance and Speed
From: brooksje AT longwood DOT edu (Brooks, Jason)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:44:18 -0500
I've been following the Backup Speed discussion recently.  And now I'd
like to throw another one into the same or similar fray.  Recently, we
implemented NDMP backups for our Mirapoint mail appliance.  We have it
in a 3-way NDMP setup where the backup flows as follows:

Mirapoint -> Media Server (Win 2k3) -> Adic Scalar w/LTO3.

Link one from Mirapoint to the Media Server is copper.  Mirapoint has a
100Mbit card and the Media has a 1GB card; both are locked at full
duplex at the switch.

We have one policy with 2 schedules; 1 for a Full and 1 for nightly
differentials.  The differentials are about 5GB, but are taking 5 hours.
By contrast, the first full was about 48GB, which took 8 hours.  The
jobs are not multiplexed - awaiting word from vendor about impact on the
box.

Is anyone else using NDMP for a Mirapoint appliance?  Seeing anything
similar?  Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Brooks