Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Brick Level Backups

2006-03-21 14:01:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Brick Level Backups
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:01:36 -0800 (PST)
we are on gig on multiple exchange servers and the
speed at which brick level backups occur didnt change
for us.  recall that netbackup is just using the
exchange apis to read the messages so this is a slow
process.  we stopped doing brick level backups and now
use recovery manager for exchange to do message level
restores.  it may take longer to restore a single
message, however once you restore a db with the recov
mgr, you can keep the restored image around as long as
needed.

overall recov mgr saved us tons of time as we no
longer had a backup window to fit in the brick level
jobs.

--- Mike Day <mike.day AT inovis DOT com> wrote:

> I'm upgrading from 4.5 FP9 to 5.1 and then to 6.x
> (current version).
> Have brick level backups improved with these version
> upgrades?  I
> remember when I've tried to do our 80 GB brick level
> backups a year ago
> I think the best speed I ever got was about 24
> hours.
>
> We just upgraded the Exchange server to the GB
> switch so Information
> Store backups which took about 2.2 hours before now
> only take about 40
> minutes.
>
> I presume my brick level backups should now only
> take about 8 hours on
> the Gigabit switch, which just might fit in my
> backup window but it
> would be cutting it close.
>
> Am I correct to assume this or has version 5 or 6
> improved the brick
> level backup performance or does Symantec have a
> product designed for
> brick level backups?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Day