Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup speed

2006-03-20 10:20:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup speed
From: mb AT unixusa DOT com (Mickey Baker)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:20:10 -0500
Some notes on design of backup infrastructure:

When using backup infrastructure such as NetBackup, there are several
components that affect backup rates:
- The ability of the system being backed up (the client) to supply data;
- The capacity of the data path between the client and the media server or
the backup device;
- The capacity of the servers running the backup software, including the
media server, the master server and communication between them;
- The capacity of the path to the backup device (tape or disk), and finally;
- The capacity of the backup device itself.

When designing the dynamics a backup infrastructure, an engineer should
quantify the capacity of all these components, aggregating any planned
simultaneous use of any of these limiting factors.

NetBackup, in particular, has ways to use underutilized devices, like
multiplexing with tape drives.

An initial scenario should be worked out where each of these components are
assigned an "expected capacity" based on manufacturer's or industry
specification, measured capacity, as well as experience. This is where
experience with system capacity comes into play.  Don't forget, that even if
backup is done in the middle of the night, there may be other processing in
the common infrastructure that will consume capacity.

Use techniques such as "infinite capacity loading", mathematically expanding
variable capacity sources to find areas of uncertainty and bottlenecks.

The initial scenario should be reviewed and an implementation planned. When
planning your implementation, don't forget to "hedge" areas of uncertainty
with "what will we do if" to deal with unexpected results in areas of
uncertainty and risk. For example, if you find that networking is a
bottleneck, "add additional NICs on the media server" would be your
reaction.

If you need some specific help, this is what I do for a living.

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL