Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question in regards to high availability of the catalog.

2006-03-17 10:01:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question in regards to high availability of the catalog.
From: andrew.x.smith AT jpmchase DOT com (andrew.x.smith AT jpmchase DOT com)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:01:48 +0000
--=_alternative 005295F280257134_=

Hi Justin,

  don't think your plan will work as there is no such thing as an
incremental catalog backup (that is recoverable via bprecover). You could
do incremental backups of the images directory to a NetApp disk SU but I
think this would be pretty messy.

You can certainly use something like EMC SRDF to replicate the catalog
itself, not just a disk backup area, my only comment on your suggested
solution is that Vertias do not recommend installing NetBackup on an NFS
mounted filesystem (EMC is SAN attached),

You are correct the NBU HA solution is a traditional active/passive HA
cluster with local (SAN) attached shared disk.

                thanks Andy.

Mahesh,

Understood, however my plan is to perform an incremental catalog
backup say once a minute with syncs occuring once a minute also so the
catalog is "live" in two separate datacenters.  The idea behind it is
if datacenter1 is lost for any reason, then we can install netbackup
master software on the fail-over server, run bprecover with the path
to the catalog  on the netapp and then be good to go.

Have you seen or do you have any information or documentation
regarding running catalog backups and mirroring them across multiple
sites?  While I have not read the HA document yet, from what I gather,
they assume both the storage and the remote server are ``local'' to
the installation and not across multiple sites.

Thanks,

Justin.
--=_alternative 005295F280257134_=

there is no such thing as an incremental catalog backup (that is recoverable
via bprecover). You could do incremental backups of the images directory to a
NetApp disk SU but I think this would be pretty messy.</font>
SRDF to replicate the catalog itself, not just a disk backup area, my only
comment on your suggested solution is that Vertias do not recommend installing
NetBackup on an NFS mounted filesystem (EMC is SAN attached),</font>
traditional active/passive HA cluster with local (SAN) attached shared
disk.</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; thanks Andy.</font>
incremental catalog</font>
once a minute also so the</font>
datacenters. &nbsp;The idea behind it is</font>
we can install netbackup</font>
bprecover with the path</font>
be good to go.</font>
or documentation</font>
mirroring them across multiple</font>
document yet, from what I gather,</font>
server are ``local'' to</font>
sites.</font>
--=_alternative 005295F280257134_=--