Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Comparison with NDMP backup

2006-03-16 22:44:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Comparison with NDMP backup
From: andersom68 AT yahoo DOT com (Michael Anderson)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:44:56 -0800 (PST)
Yoseph,

You provide little information on what you want to
compare,, this is like saying "please compare fruit to
fruit".

If you want to compare my environment where we were
backing up 40TB of NAS data via NFS mounts from a
Solaris box to SDLT1 Drives in an SSO NBU 5.1
environment to what we are doing today which is
backing up the same data via NDMP in a NBU6.0
environment we can talk.  These are two different
worlds.

Today our NetApp 940's are direct connected via the
SAN to dedicated HP LTO2 drives.  When using the NFS
route, we were getting around 5-8MB/Sec, in our
current config we are pushing jobs at around
40-50MB/Sec.  What used to take us days to finish is
now completing within hours.

The only problem that I have encountered is the few
bugs that should be corrected in a future MP.  My
biggest pain has been that NetApp doesn't support
drive sharing at it's current OS release so I have to
dedicate drives to filers.  So what I wind up with is
inactive drives while other filers have jobs queued.
Other than that we have been extremely happy with NDMP
and NetBackup with our NetApp environment.