Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Identifying vault duplication tapes

2006-03-15 14:12:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Identifying vault duplication tapes
From: KEagle AT wilmingtontrust DOT com (Eagle, Kent)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:12:09 -0500
NB 5.1 MP3 W2K Master & Media servers.

I've got a couple clients that write their primary copy to disk. There
are a couple different policies that do this. We've got an early am
off-site requirement that precludes waiting until we run our am vault
eject profiles to do the duplication.

So, what we've done is create a policy that calls for/runs a vault
profile that runs the duplication from disk to tape. It is scheduled to
ensure it will run after the jobs that write to disk have completed.

We will be keeping the tapes off site longer than the job history is
maintained in the activity monitor. The issue I've identified is that
since the policy does not write to the tape (it's the vault process that
actually writes to tape), the recovery report does not show what tape
was used for the policy/client.

The duplication job will show the tape(s) used in the activity monitor
until they roll off. I thought to narrow it down by using a unique
volume pool for those jobs, but it still wouldn't identify what tape you
needed for a specific policy client, and if we increase the number of
policies/clients being backed up to disk in this manner, the unique pool
method would be too much to sort through.

My question is: How can we generate a report to be included with the
off-site tapes to identify the tapes created by the duplication process
as described above?

Thanks,

Kent C. Eagle
Systems Engineer, MCP, MCSE
Tech Services / SMSS
keagle AT wilmingtontrust DOT com

Visit our website at www.wilmingtontrust.com

Investment products are not insured by the FDIC or any other governmental
agency, are not deposits of or other obligations of or guaranteed by Wilmington
Trust or any other bank or entity, and are subject to risks, including a
possible loss of the principal amount invested. This e-mail and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information.
It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the
intended recipient.  Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited.  If
you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this
message and delete this material from any system it may be on.