Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] exclude, include query

2006-03-13 10:46:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] exclude, include query
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:46:29 +0000
WEAVER, Simon wrote:
> Dave
> Hmmmm sounds complicated, but looking at the SysAdmin guide, you may be best
> to specify the drives that WANT to be backed up within your current policy
> (or a new policy, depending on what your overall goal is).
>
> Now, reading this it sounds like you specify the file extension (ie: *.bat)
> that need to be backed up, but EXCLUDE the root drive letters - which I
> guess in your case maybe C:\, E:\
>
> Ok now im confused reading this :-(( But it sounds like it MAY work,
> although being totally honest, never tried it!!
>
> I would suggest setting up a TEST POLICY and see if it works out perhaps?
>
> Simon Weaver
> Technical Support
> Windows Domain Administrator
>
> EADS Astrium
> Tel: 02392-708598
>
> Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net

I think problem with putting m:\*.bak it will only backup files matching
*.bak within the root of m: If i want m:\something\somethingelse\*.bak
it wont be captured.

Bit of strange request i know.

It seems to have worked putting all_local_drives in and then excludeing
*.* and including *.bak but i can think this will have a performance hit.

The issue is we dont know what partitions have the *.bak files on it as
they are san attached volumes and the DB guys could put them anywhere.
Need a policy to to try and capture them without specifying too much.

Dave