Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Finally upgrading from 4.5 FP9 to 6!

2006-03-10 15:30:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Finally upgrading from 4.5 FP9 to 6!
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:30:43 -0600
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:21:51AM -0800, Mike Day wrote:
> Ok I might need a little guidance here.  I have the following questions.
>
> 2. Is it true that I have to upgrade my clients to 5.0 (or is it 6.0)
> before I start?

No.  In fact, the master server must be the highest version, the media
servers must be next, and then the clients at the lowest version.
Ideally, of course, all are at the same version...

> 3. If so then will the 5.0 (or 6.0) client work with my 4.5 FP9 master
> server because I'm sure I will not have time to upgrade all the clients
> 1st and upgrade the master server the same day to be ready for my backup
> window by early evening.

Do the mater server first, then the media servers (if you have any), and
then finally the clients as you get to them.  A 4.5 client certainly
works fine with a 5.x master.  I expect that Veritas doesn't support a
4.5 client on a 6.0 master, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org