Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up databases

2006-03-10 05:31:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up databases
From: simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:31:16 -0000
Hi Dave
Well I don't mind providing some input and some suggestions if that helps??

We used to Backup SQL Server with an agent, which allowed the Databases to
be backed up while it was online.

However, due to the costs of the agent, it was decided to get the SQL Admins
to configure SQL to perform its own Backups within SQL and place the files
on a separate partition.

Thus - Each Night we get full backups of the Databases, and SQL can still
run without being down.

No scripting is used in anyway. Backups are configured as SAN Media Servers
using SSO over fibre. Again, this may be withdrawn soon.

DBA Administrators SHOULD be responsible for the Databases, but need to be
aware if you are backing up using a type of Agent, or if you want them to
configure offline copies or "snap shots"

I would have thought Netbackup "could" be configured to perform Mounts and
Unmounts using a script, however in some of my cases, all Netbackup may do
is simply fail with a STATUS code. Unless another script can be run, PRIOR
to Netbackup starting the backup process? Maybe DBA Admin again perhaps?

Not sure if I have been of much help here, but thought I would reply to give
you an idea of what I currently implement.

Simon Weaver
Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium
Tel: 02392-708598

Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net