Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How come NetBackup 5.1 MP4 Enterprise Server is not officially supported on RedHat 3.0 WS?

2006-03-08 18:08:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How come NetBackup 5.1 MP4 Enterprise Server is not officially supported on RedHat 3.0 WS?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:08:02 -0600
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 02:25:51PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Does anyone know why 5.1 MP4 Enterprise Server is not officially supported
> on RedHat 3.0 Workstation but it is supported under RedHat 3.0 Advanced
> Server?  I have been told the kernels are the same on both versions of
> RedHat 3.0, AS and WS, only AS offers clustering and other advanced
> features.
>
> Does anyone know the reason behind this?

In order for Symantec to officially support a release, they have to test
that release (and continually test as updates come out).  Since WS is
not intended as a server, and does not include some traditional server
functions (e.g. an FTP server), I wouldn't expect Symantec to bother to
test.  Anybody seriously wanting to run the NetBackup server product
should be running on a server platform anyway.

I didn't check the compatibility chart, but I would expect both ES and
AS to be supported but not WS.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA