Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] D2D backups

2006-03-06 13:48:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] D2D backups
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:48:17 -0500
Falconstore is a nice SW option.
You can install it on standard x86 hardware, and hang it in front of
anybody's disk.

It allows you to stick it in front of a library, and it gathers barcode
info from the library inventory.
Your backup goes to VTL, then the virtual tape gets duped to the same
barcode physical tape.
The VTL proxies requests for the library, so if you later do a restore
after the virtual tape has "expired" (been flushed from disk) the VTL
tells the library to mount up the physical tape and streams the data
back to the media server.

Or...

You can add it to your media server as an additional library, with its
own barcodes....you backup to VTL, then use Vault and/or scripts to dupe
from a barcode in the VTL to a different barcode in the physical library
(this option means your media server is in the duplication path) in this
case, your physical tape is a "secondary" copy, so once your disk copy
is purged form disk, your physical tape copy needs to be propmoted to
primary copy.

They also support duplication between VTLs, and are working on Data
reduction so that only "new" data gets written to disk.....ie, you can
perform  sequential "FULL" backups from Netbackup's perspective, but the
VTL only writes the data to disk once....so on the VTL it behaves almost
like a Synthetic Full....it doesn't save the same data on disk
twice.....this is only a big disk saver if you happen to keep several
generations of full backups on disk.

We're looking at widescale D2D this year, so I've been looking at the
options. There's a bit of talk about it in the latest Storage Magazine
I've been doing a bit of DSSU, which is working fairly well also, so I
will probably be benchmarking DSSU against whichever VTLs look most
promising.

Paul