Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to use tar command available in netbackup

2006-03-03 08:06:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to use tar command available in netbackup
From: stumpb AT michigan DOT gov (Bob Stump)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:06:19 -0500
How do I restore a tape using just the "tar" command?
http://www.backupcentral.com/foms/netbackup-serve/cache/192.html

>>> <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com> 3/3/2006 4:59 AM >>>
This is documented - either in a technote or in the troubleshooting guide.

Having to skip past a file by using the 'mt' command rings a bell.

William D L Brown

"Suhas BHIDE" <suhas AT ctl.creative DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
03-Mar-2006 08:12

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] How to use tar command available in netbackup

Hi....

Anyone has idea on how to use the tar command available with netbackup
(/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/tar).
I have got some problems with my tape library and I want to check if I can
restore the old tapes with "tar"
command directly instead of using the Veritas netbackup since I will need
to wait till the tape drives are replaced.

I have tried "tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0cb" but get following error.

Blocksize = 2 records
Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive.
Skipping to next file header...

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks....Suhas Bhide

Notice
privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient,  any disclosure,  copying or distribution of the message,  or
any action taken by you in reliance on it,  is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you have received this message in error,  please delete it
and contact the sender immediately.  Thank you.