Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] schedule list?

2006-02-27 16:49:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] schedule list?
From: wts AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:49:47 -0500
Six months ago I was all frequency-based, and now I've nearly everything
converted to calendar-based schedules and the results (to me) are
excellent.  (***)

Let's say I do "fulls" on Friday nights, but every month I want a "full"
that is retained longer.  With frequency-based scheduling, each Friday
night I'd have some regular and some long-retention backups, sometimes
causing a much longer backup window than expected as I might have lots
of backups with one retention, but most tape drives tied up with the
other retention (Most of my backups are multiplexed).  With
calendar-based scheduling, I specify the first Friday of the month for
the long retention and other Fridays for the regular retention.  Works
great.  Note that you specify both calendar days and windows, so for
many of my "monthly fulls", I have a second window (either the next day
or the 2nd week Friday) and specify "Retries allowed after run day".  If
an important monthly backup fails, then it is not only retried on the
run day, but during a later window.

The same goes for yearly backups.  And with yearly backups, the data
owners usually *want* their long-retention backup on or closely after a
certain date, so calendar-based scheduling is perfect.

This is all with v5.1MP4 ... I'm ignorant still of v6.0.  Someone care
to briefly explain new features for us?

cheers, wayne

P.S. (***) Note that I'm calling calendar-based scheduling excellent
with respect to frequency-based scheduling ... I am in no way calling
NetBackup excellent (or otherwise).