Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DWDM Remote Copy - Please Share your Knowledge!

2006-02-27 10:57:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DWDM Remote Copy - Please Share your Knowledge!
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:57:35 -0500

Very similar to my environment.

> Questions
> 1) How will veritas knows the location B media servers
> and tape library are be part of the master server.
> Which software will take care of this?

Netbackup takes care of it. Same as if it was another local media
server.

> 2)Inline TAPE COPY can go to multiple
> Storage Units BUT they must be on the SAME Media
> Server.
> Can some one explain how to do this?

Any media server at site A will have to see the drives at Site B also.
You will then configure two STU's on the media server.
One containing drives at Site A, and one containing drives at site B.
Your policies will be configured to write 2 copies, one to STU_site_A,
and one to STU_site_B (as an example)

> 3) In general inline tape copy, how is the
> performance? Will it slow up your original copy if the
> second copy is going at a slower speed?

Depends on your bandwidth.
We have a pair of 2gb/s FC links dedicated to Inline tape copy.
We have redundant DWDM infrastructure, and a 2gb/s link on each side.
Your data will write only as fast as the slowest destination.
If you have LTO at site B, and LTO3 at Site A, you're only going to
write as fast as the remote LTO drive.

> 4) We will be replicating catalog between Site A to
> Site B.In case of Disaster( Site A).Do we have keep
> the spare server in site B to recover the catalog? In
> case if we use any existing media server, How to avoid
> master server name and IP address conflict?

You can recover your catalog to an existing Media server, make that the
master, and use the directive:
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = former_media_server_name
restored_master_server_name
In the bp.conf so that the new recovered master will perform the
restores that were previously backed up to that media server.

Paul