Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup to disk -- performance?

2006-02-22 09:54:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup to disk -- performance?
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:54:50 -0500
Most folks are using nearline storage....
SATA drives on lower end SAN arrays.

Big RAID 5 disksets.

Because of the way backup data is written, fragmentation is apparantly not a
big deal.
One place where disk excels is if you don't have the data to stream high perf
tape drives, disk can handle the stop/start of data flow much better, and
result in a net perf gain.

Paul