Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 Error Code 58 and Loss of Sequence Numbers

2006-02-20 14:44:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 Error Code 58 and Loss of Sequence Numbers
From: brooksje AT longwood DOT edu (Brooks, Jason)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:44:07 -0500
I've been having issues with Error Code 58 on my DMZ for a while now.
Mostly sporadic, but it's become more persistent.  So, I just returned
from engaging our Network Engineer on sniffing a backup.  Here's the
info:

Started a manual backup of a Differential-Incremental,
Microsoft-Windows-NT policy for one of the clients listed, a Windows
2003 server.

Almost immediately, the queued job dropped switched to running, then to
failed, error 58.

What the packets showed was a consistent conversation between the
server, source port 571 and client, d port 13782.

The 18th packet a SYN packet, sourced from the client, s port 666 (doom)
to server 13724, with a SEQ = 0 and ACK = 0.

Server sends a SYNACK Seq = 0, Ack = 1.

Client comes back with a SYNACK SEQ = 1, ACK = 1 and then the server
sends a RESET.

So, here's the questions:

What caused the shift in ports?  And I suppose that will go to answering
the failed job.  Go to NBU Support with this one?

Jason Brooks

Jason Brooks
Computer Systems Engineer
IITS - Longwood University