Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] If you couldn't have NetBackup, what would you pick?

2006-02-20 10:34:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] If you couldn't have NetBackup, what would you pick?
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:34:45 -0500
At the place I used to work, we used IBM's ADSM (which later became
TSM).  I wasn't much involved with the backups there, but the backup
guys swore by it (and not AT it, like I occasionally have to do with
NBU).  In my small web hosting business, I use Arkeia.  The price was
right, although they have recently changed their licensing model to one
where the price you pay is based on how much data is "protected" by
their software.  Needless to say, I refuse to play that game, and will
not be upgrading to newer versions...anyone from Arkeia listening out
there?  NetBackup is too spendy and too heavyweight for my small
business.  For someone who has lots of data to backup and deep pockets,
NetBackup is a good choice.  I didn't have any input as to the choice of
backup software on this site.

To answer your original question, if I couldn't have NetBackup, I'd
probably go with Tivoli Storage Manager.