Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Clustered Master Server

2006-02-20 10:21:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Clustered Master Server
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:21:24 -0500
We have had a clustered master server on Solaris since 3.4.  If you are
using the Veritas Cluster Server, they changed the way it works after
4.5.  In 4.5 and earlier, it was the way you point out, with the
installation on shared disk.  NetBackup 5.1 included new VCS agents, and
changed how it works.  As of 5.1 (and maybe 5.0 -- not sure...we skipped
over 5.0), NetBackup is installed on every node of the cluster.  The
catalogs are now pretty much the only thing on the shared disk which is
now mounted at /opt/VRTSnbu.  Links are created by the VCS NBU Agents to
the catalogs on the shared storage.  If you install NBU on a clustered
master server using the Veritas scripts, this is how it is set up.  If
you want to put the whole /opt/openv on the shared storage, you'd have
to do that manually, and it will probably work.  However, you probably
won't get much support from Veritas if it doesn't work properly since
it's not a "supported" configuration.

Having to change this all when we did the 4.5 -> 5.1 upgrade last summer
made the upgrade non-trivial.  It wasn't hard, just tedious.  It didn't
help that the vendor we bought the set-up from didn't set it up entirely
proper when 3.4 was installed.  I had to move stuff around and create
temporary links.  Now it's in a supported configuration, and I hope
Veritas leaves it well enough alone!

I'm still not sure how I like the way they do it now.  There are some
advantages, but having to make sure multiple links are properly created
at every failover can result in a lot of troubleshooting if it doesn't
happen right.  The old way just had a single filesystem that needed to
be mounted.

--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf