Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6 and nearstore storage units with millions of files per qtree

2006-02-16 16:43:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6 and nearstore storage units with millions of files per qtree
From: tim.berger AT gmail DOT com (Tim Berger)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:43:27 -0800
We're still at 5.1 right now, but I'm reading over the 6.0 docs, and
it looks like they've added a really useful option called nearstore
storage units.  Has anyone here tried it out?

We have 3 netapps that snapvault over to an R200 and we use NDMP to
back them up.  Some of our qtrees have several million files.  The
three problem qtrees have 12M, 17M, and 23M files in them.  It can
take 48 hours to snapvault them over.  Because the target then also
has millions of files, backup performance is horrible, and this is
still with AIT2.  Part of the problem is our R200 has 5400 RPM disks,
but I don't think this is the primary issue.

The problem is, we are migrating to LTO3.  We can't continue on this path!

It *appears* that nearstore storage units might help address this
issue because the target uses netbackup tarballs.  No more need to
create millions of inodes on the target and no more need to traverse
them to back them up.  If anyone has tried this out with millions of
files per qtree, please let us know if this new option has helped at
all.

Thanks!

--
-Tim