Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unadvertised utility in Netbackup

2006-02-06 15:30:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unadvertised utility in Netbackup
From: stumpb AT michigan DOT gov (Bob Stump)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:30:02 -0500
The first time I saw bpgp it was in the script called add_slave_on_client.
It was used to gather the bp.conf file from all of the UNIX clients unto the
master server.
The new slave server entry would then be appended to the client's bp.conf file.
bpgp would then be used to send the modified bp.conf file back to the client.

>>> "Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca> 2/6/2006 2:58 PM >>>
it's executable by root.

keep unauthorized root out of your box...sleep well at night.

yes, it's a security risk...yes, it can save your butt....yes, you can
shoot yourself in the foot with it...you can even blow your whole leg
off.

anything you can do with bpgp, you can do with a creative backup and
restore.

Paul