Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] No response concerning tape alert?

2006-02-02 15:24:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] No response concerning tape alert?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:24:15 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C62836.38D96B43

In general, I've heard nothing bad about tape alert cleaning.  The mistake,
usually, is library-based cleaning.  If you use library-based cleaning, then
the library, without any alert to Netbackup, can chose to clean a tape
drive, usually using a pseudo-hidden cleaning tape from a reserved slot.  If
the library cleans the tape drive & Netbackup doesn't know about it, then NB
can try to use the drive when a cleaning is occurring.  The tape mount will
fail & NB will down the drive.

For an SSO environment, your only NB-based option is tape alert cleaning.
Frequency-based (at least in v5.x & down) doesn't work in SSO because the
media servers make no attempt to coordinate hours of run time for each
drive.

-M