Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] duplication speed

2006-02-01 07:55:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] duplication speed
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 06:55:59 -0600
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:14:25PM +0000, Dave Markham wrote:
> People i am moving an infrastructure from one site to the other. As part
> of this we are splitting things between different trucks for resilience.

How long did this backup take?

> I am slightly concerned as it reckons the job is only 1% through on the
> gui.

I never trust the % complete.  It's rarely right.

> When i run iostat -xn |egrep "rmt/0|rmt/2" i can see around 5mb/s which
> is about right for the DLT7000 drives i have in the L1000.

> There are 32 images in total to duplicated and the backups took around 8
> hours to complete 290 gig.

At 5MB/sec, that's 18GB per hour.  To back up 290GB would take 16 hours.
I don't see how you completed this in 8 hours unless you were doing a
lot of compression.

I need the duplications to be finished by
> tomorrow and as it has been nearly 2 hours now and saying only 1%
> complete im worried it wont be done.

Can you estimate the actual speed by how fast it's changing tapes?  A
DLT7000 is only 80GB compressed so you should be changing tapes every few
hours.  290GB in 8 hours is 36GB per hour so that would be a fresh tape
every 2 hours tops.

> I am wondering what file num =  Surely its not actually a file number
> and its only written 23 files in 2 hours.

Are those 2GB file fragments?  If so, that's about right - 46GB in 2
hours or 23 GB per hour - that's better than 5MB/sec.  That would put
your total time to complete at about 13 hours.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org