Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Netbackup monitoring

2006-01-26 16:21:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Netbackup monitoring
From: mitch.lien AT medtronic DOT com (Lien, Mitch)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:21:43 -0600
Question 6:
Does anyone use external monitoring tools for netbackup?  We have many
custom scripts created to perform some monitoring tasks but I have been
tasked with looking for something that can automate allot of the
monitoring without having to write a customer script for everything.
Management also wants our NOC people to take over some of the monitoring
for us to allow us to get to the real work instead of worry about upping
drives or restarting failed jobs. Any ideas?

---------------
We use Nagios (formerly NetSaint) w/ Netbackup plugins.

Monitors:

- NBU Drive status
- NBU Daemon status
- NBU Queue size
- When last backup occurred. (i.e. Jobs hung)
- Basic core system resources (disk space, cpu load, memory, etc.)

Can write shell or perl plugin for anything you want and price is right
(free/Open Source)

http://www.nagios.org

I hope this helps.

Mitch