Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Copan Systems - MAID Technology

2006-01-19 04:55:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Copan Systems - MAID Technology
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:55:10 +0000
We have talked to them, having met the device at a UK storage show.   It
does sound a good fit to our darta volumes - most other VTLs don't have
enough for us to keep enough days of backup nearline.   It uses the
FalconStor VTL s/w, though I can't say if it is the full product - but at
least that is a VTL that has been around a while.

Myself I like the sound of it, my management have other fish to fry.

The power saving sounded good but when I read the spec, it did not read
that much less than a standard array, which seemed wrong.  I would indeed
expect it to use a lot less power, and we are really short of that.

You still come back to the argument about VTLs - which is mostly about how
you use them as a route to tape.  I cannot see us not having tape.

William D L Brown

briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
18-Jan-2006 14:44

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Copan Systems - MAID Technology

Has anyone looked at the MAID (Massive Arrays of Idle Disk) solution from
Copan?  They have been marketing it as a replacement for tape and as a
pseudo-VTL.  This looks like not much more than just another disk (JBOD)
to be used in a D2D pool.

Any thoughts or comments about their solution?

Brian
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information of
Northwestern Mutual. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify Northwestern Mutual immediately by
returning it to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Please
be advised that communications received via the Northwestern Mutual Secure
Message Center are secure. Communications that are not received via the
Northwestern Mutual Secure Message Center may not be secure and could be
observed by a third party. Thank you for your cooperation.