Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] drives going down on media servers

2006-01-18 10:00:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] drives going down on media servers
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:00:24 +0000
I have 1 master server, and 2 media servers connected over fiber to an
L700. Im not sure what the switch in the middle is as didnt install the
system or have any info on it.

There are 5 drives in the L700 and 3 of them are shared with sso option
to the master, and both media servers.

People i have had an issue lately with drives being not visible to one
of my media servers.

I have fixed this by unloading the fibre hba using cfgadm and loading it
again. It then can see the devices under sgscan and has seen them under
/dev/rmt

I also noticed the customer had removed a /etc/hosts entry for the media
servers to talk to each other by the correct name so i put that back in
and can now talk on port 13701 to each machine in the nbu setup.

Whats happening now though is drives just keep going down on the media
servers and backups are not working. I have ITC enabled so each media
server needs to lock 2 drives.

I have looked the bptm logs and cant see anything jumping out apart from
many request medias of different tape ids.
I have looked in /usr/openv/volmgr/debug/ltid/ and the logs in their
show successfully on communicating shared drive info to the master.

Therefore i am now stuck and have no idea whats going wrong :(

Anyone any advice/pointers? Is ether anything specific i should be
looking for in the logs or are there other important logs im not checking.

Thanks