Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Netbackup w/ Robot WITHOUT Barcode Reader

2006-01-17 12:38:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Netbackup w/ Robot WITHOUT Barcode Reader
From: MarkP AT spectralogic DOT com (Mark Pinder)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:38:32 -0700
Hey Jonathan,
        NBU "should" be able to function fine with no barcodes on your tapes
with several caveats. Any changes to the inventory will probably require that
NBU be allowed to rescan every tape in the library. If you import any new or
old tapes, NBU will need to load them into a drive and read them to identify
what tape it is since there is no other way to identify them.
        Likewise, any power cycling of the library or the host/SW will require
a similar rescanning of all the tapes in the library. This is because the SW
won't know if you have moved things around.
        Inventory will definitely be the biggest headache you will have.
Keeping close track of tapes will be paramount to successful backups with this
unit.
        I believe you can give NBU a label to put on the tape when you format
it. If so, you can tell NBU to label the tape with the value of the barcode on
the tape. This will give you at least a human readable way to tell what tape
the SW is asking for. It may be possible to manually enter a barcode value for
a tape into the media database. If this is true, then it may reduce the level
change when the reader arrives.
        Ideally, the way to manage this until the barcode reader is installed
is to load enough media into the machine such that you never have to remove or
add tapes to it.
        Once the reader is installed, the media in the unit will show up as new
and/or unformatted. You "should" be able to scan the tapes and bring the
database up to date that way.
        I hope thins info helps.

Mark Pinder :
Systems Engineer: