Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: backup NT4 client using netbackupv6.0

2006-01-16 15:25:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: backup NT4 client using netbackupv6.0
From: Richard.Mickle AT mwrms.rrd DOT com (Richard.Mickle AT mwrms.rrd DOT com)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:25:04 -0600
--=_alternative 007028B5862570F8_=

Mark and Jim

Be aware that using clients older then one generation may work, you may
run into what I have.  I have several SCO Openserver 5 clients running the
NetBackup 3.4 client software on them.  I just upgraded our Master/Media
server from 4.5 FP 6 to 5.1 MP 4.  Now, I am able to back the servers up,
but do to a difference in coding, I get an error on restores and then the
restore just hangs out there.  I have to manually kill the job.  Through
testing, I have found I can restore the backups to a Solaris 8 box then
ftp them to the SCO box.

In short, unsupported clients may work, but do not count on it without
testing before implementation.

Richard Mickle
UNIX Systems and Storage Administrator
Moore Wallace Response Marketing Services
An RR Donnelley Company
E-Mail:         Richard.Mickle AT mwrms.rrd DOT com
Phone:        920-339-1695
Cell Phone: 920-366-1987
Fax:             920-339-1807