Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore NBU tape with tar command?

2006-01-04 04:24:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore NBU tape with tar command?
From: ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk (ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:24:12 +0100
Hello Andrew

Here is what I have from an earlier mail (for extract just change t to x)

I have had succes with listing the files on a tape with Netbackup tar when I
know the blocksize.
For nonmultipexed tape, blocksize 256k:
/usr/openv/netbackup/tar -itvf <norewind device> -b 512

For multipexed tape, blocksize 256k:
/usr/openv/netbackup/tar -iMtvf <norewind device> -b 512

If remember correctly /usr/openv/netbackup/tar ++help gives a list of options

Regards
Michael

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:13:37 -0500, Andrew Armstrong wrote
>   I am in the process of putting together a disaster recovery plan in case
our primary server goes down. This server is a stand-alone NBU server,
backing up only itself, etc. I have no problems using NBU to do the recovery
(bare metal restore, etc.), but those above me also require a vendor-
independent recovery plan, in case there are "problems" using NBU to recover
the data. I have experimented with using the NBU version of tar, and have
successfully restored files from the tape. My only question is this: is it
possible to make tar continue to the next backup set on the tape
automatically? Currently, I am only able to restore small pieces of the
system at a time (looks like 2000k or so). I am familiar with the option to
span multi-volume archives, but I would like to see if there is an option to
(for lack of a better way to put it) start at a certain point on the tape and
restore everything from that point on, without prompts for user intervention.
(The requirements for the DR plan dictate that a user with little or no admin
experience should be able to do the recovery... this is NOT my requirement,
but one put on me by those above)

--
Cybercity Webhosting (http://www.cybercity.dk)