Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Experation

2005-12-22 17:52:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Experation
From: perf AT peppas DOT gr (Jim Peppas)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:52:06 +0200
Hi.

Don't use the  vmquery -deassignbyid  command. It will only cause you
headaches. When using this command, the tapes are not cleaned up correctly
(see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241574.htm).
When you want ot expire tape always use the bpexpdate command. Only if this
fails should you use  vmquery -deassignbyid  .

I would suggest that you print all tapes assigned to all media servers
seperatly (use bpmedialist -h <mediaserver>). Check to see if you have tape
that show up on different servers.

I had a customer that used  vmquery -deassignbyid  , and he ended up having
tapes assing to multiple media servers. He had an SSO enviroment though, I
don't know if this is your case (If you have media servers using the same
robot and most probably the same tapes, you could have a problem)

Regards,
Jim Peppas