Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question

2005-12-16 15:23:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:23:10 -0600
--=_alternative 006FFC51862570D9_=

In NB 5.0, i have noticed  that one DSSU(a) can't delete the contents of
another DSSU(b) if it needs more space.

example:
/export/dsu is a single partition
/export/dsu/daily all information has been duplicated to tape
/export/dsu/monthend needs more space, but can't/won't ask
/export/dsu/daily to delete some information.

Currently, your better splitting off a slice for each DSSU. Which leads to
wasted space.

Maybe that has changed under 6.0.

Karl

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 12/16/2005 01:20:42 PM:

> Veritas says to create a different filesystem for Full and Incrementals,
> due to the backup sizes generally involved and how many files have to
> get deleted for each when cleaning a DSSU. Future versions of NetBackup
> sound like they'll do a much better job of handling staging disks.
>
> Some light reading for you:
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270101.htm
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270079.htm
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268777.htm
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265305.htm
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278169.htm
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273532.htm
>
> Depending on what you're using for back-end storage, EMC also has a pair
> of whitepapers/briefs you can get on running backups to disk. They
> should be available from their webpage somewhere.
> "Effective Write Bandwidth with CLARiiON ATA Disk Drives and RAID 3:
> Backup-to=Disk and Streaming Media"
> "EMC Backup Storage Solutions: Backup-to-Disk Guide with VERITAS
> NetBackup"
>
> Have fun. =)
> - John Nardello
> "Your backups are only as good as your restores."

space.</font>
been duplicated to tape</font>
but can't/won't ask /export/dsu/daily to delete some information.</font>
a slice for each DSSU. Which leads to wasted space.</font>
12/16/2005
01:20:42 PM:<br>
&gt; Veritas says to create a different filesystem for Full and
Incrementals,<br>
&gt; due to the backup sizes generally involved and how many files have
to<br>
&gt; get deleted for each when cleaning a DSSU. Future versions of NetBackup<br>
&gt; sound like they'll do a much better job of handling staging disks.
&gt; <br>
&gt; Some light reading for you:<br>
&gt; http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270101.htm<br>
&gt; http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270079.htm<br>
&gt; http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268777.htm<br>
&gt; http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265305.htm<br>
&gt; http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278169.htm<br>
&gt; http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273532.htm<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Depending on what you're using for back-end storage, EMC also has
a pair<br>
&gt; of whitepapers/briefs you can get on running backups to disk. They<br>
&gt; should be available from their webpage somewhere. <br>
&gt; &quot;Effective Write Bandwidth with CLARiiON ATA Disk Drives and
RAID 3:<br>
&gt; Backup-to=Disk and Streaming Media&quot; <br>
&gt; &quot;EMC Backup Storage Solutions: Backup-to-Disk Guide with VERITAS<br>
&gt; NetBackup&quot;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Have fun. =) <br>
&gt; - John Nardello<br>
&gt; &quot;Your backups are only as good as your restores.&quot;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; [mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Ed
Wilts<br>
&gt; Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 10:51 AM<br>
&gt; To: Johnson, Eric K<br>
&gt; Cc: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:52:05PM -0500, Johnson, Eric K wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; We are in the early stages of migrating from Legato NetWorker
to<br>
&gt; Veritas<br>
&gt; &gt; NetBackup 5.1. As part of our migration, we are adding enough
disk<br>
&gt; space<br>
&gt; &gt; to hold one week worth of backups before they are staged to tape.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; When configuring our disk (approximately 9.6TB before RAID in
a Sun<br>
&gt; &gt; StorEdge 3511 SATA array. NetBackup server is a Sun E450 running<br>
&gt; Solaris<br>
&gt; &gt; 10) are there any recommendations for how it should be separated
out<br>
&gt; &gt; into volumes?<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Is it better to have one large volume? Many small volumes? What
are<br>
&gt; the<br>
&gt; &gt; advantages and disadvantages to the given volume sizes from a<br>
&gt; NetBackup<br>
&gt; &gt; perspective?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; With 5.1, a job will fail if the DSSU fills up. &nbsp;There are no
mechanisms<br>
&gt; to throw a bunch of volumes at it and let NetBackup chose. &nbsp;With
6.0,<br>
&gt; this problem is supposed to go away.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; For now, I'd think that you would want to create a single large array.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; All of this assumes that all backups are created equally. &nbsp;If
there is<br>
&gt; some stuff that you need to guarantee stays on disk for a week, you
may<br>
&gt; need to set up individual DSSUs for that stuff (we're doing this for<br>
&gt; some Oracle databases).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; .../Ed<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA<br>
&gt; mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org<br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>