Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?

2005-12-02 03:03:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?
From: mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com (mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:03:17 +0000
Our catalog has just passed 120GIG, but we do have a sed load of infinite
retention backups.

Regards
Mark Goodchild
EMEA DCS Storage Management Group J.P.Morgan Chase
Phone: 6060 Option 2
Mail: Mark A Goodchild/JPMCHASE@JPMCHASE
E-Mail: mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com

                      John Priddy

                      <jpriddy AT thegoldensource DOT com        To:
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

                      >                                   cc:

                      Sent by:                            Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?
                      veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng

                      .auburn.edu

                      02/12/2005 00:16

I currently backup approx 40 servers of Solaris, Windows, and Linux.  I was
poking around on the backup server the other day which contains the catalog
and i saw that it was at 23 gigs.  Is this normal?  We are a development
shop and have what I would consider more 'files per server' than usual,
especially on the older Solaris machines used for software development, but
23 gigs seems a bit over the top.  It doesn't appear to be related to the
amount of data on each machine, because some of the servers with the most
data are also the smallest in size in the catalog.  As an example a machine
that currently has almost 2TB of storage is taking up 500meg of catalog,
but another with less than 40gigs of storage is taking up 2GB of catalog.
This doesn't appear to be related to the platform as the linux and windows
machines exibit the same catalog/storage relationships.  Browsing through
backups from the java console and backups of the db itself s! eem to be
pretty quick.

My question is do most of you see catalogs of sizes like this?  Our overall
raw diskspace would be around 5 or 6 TB i guess. This catalog is only about
3 months old so far and I only have another 20gigs on that volume left...

Machine is NB 5.1MP3 running on Solaris 10 on SunV240, all clients are 5.1
also.

Thanks

John