Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?

2005-12-01 19:16:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?
From: jpriddy AT thegoldensource DOT com (John Priddy)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:16:40 -0500
--=-H+bkCtIHIOWusdGKL4Fv

I currently backup approx 40 servers of Solaris, Windows, and Linux.  I
was poking around on the backup server the other day which contains the
catalog and i saw that it was at 23 gigs.  Is this normal?  We are a
development shop and have what I would consider more 'files per server'
than usual, especially on the older Solaris machines used for software
development, but 23 gigs seems a bit over the top.  It doesn't appear to
be related to the amount of data on each machine, because some of the
servers with the most data are also the smallest in size in the catalog.
As an example a machine that currently has almost 2TB of storage is
taking up 500meg of catalog, but another with less than 40gigs of
storage is taking up 2GB of catalog.  This doesn't appear to be related
to the platform as the linux and windows machines exibit the same
catalog/storage relationships.  Browsing through backups from the java
console and backups of the db itself seem to be pretty quick.

My question is do most of you see catalogs of sizes like this?  Our
overall raw diskspace would be around 5 or 6 TB i guess. This catalog is
only about 3 months old so far and I only have another 20gigs on that
volume left...

Machine is NB 5.1MP3 running on Solaris 10 on SunV240, all clients are
5.1 also.

Thanks

John

--=-H+bkCtIHIOWusdGKL4Fv

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I currently backup approx 40 servers of Solaris, Windows, and Linux.&nbsp; I
was poking around on the backup server the other day which contains the catalog
and i saw that it was at 23 gigs.&nbsp; Is this normal?&nbsp; We are a
development shop and have what I would consider more 'files per server' than
usual, especially on the older Solaris machines used for software development,
but 23 gigs seems a bit over the top.&nbsp; It doesn't appear to be related to
the amount of data on each machine, because some of the servers with the most
data are also the smallest in size in the catalog.&nbsp; As an example a
machine that currently has almost 2TB of storage is taking up 500meg of
catalog, but another with less than 40gigs of storage is taking up 2GB of
catalog.&nbsp; This doesn't appear to be related to the platform as the linux
and windows machines exibit the same catalog/storage relationships.&nbsp;
Browsing through backups from the java console and backups of the db itself
seem to be pretty quick.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
My question is do most of you see catalogs of sizes like this?&nbsp; Our
overall raw diskspace would be around 5 or 6 TB i guess. This catalog is only
about 3 months old so far and I only have another 20gigs on that volume
left...<BR>
<BR>
Machine is NB 5.1MP3 running on Solaris 10 on SunV240, all clients are 5.1
also.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks<BR>
<BR>