Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL vs. Disk based backups

2005-12-01 14:18:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL vs. Disk based backups
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:18:57 -0600
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:13:20PM -0500, Hindle, Greg wrote:
> We are looking at VTL technologies with EMC being the front leader. We
> are looking at upgrading to netbackup 6.0 Solaris 10 soon. My backup
> partner in crime disagree with the direction we should go. I think we
> should go with disk based backups and my partner want to go with VTL.
> Now since we do not have this in yet it is hard to look at both and
> "see" what is better. SO has anyone here also researching this subject
> and have their own opinion? We are a Netapp/EMC shop so the back disk
> is not the show stopper but the future of both technologies. Any care
> to share their views?

I was originally in the "let's get VTL" camp.  Lately, I've been leaning
against VTL and think that VTL is a temporary solution that doesn't have
long-term viability.  A lot of people wanted virtual tapes because they
couldn't stream to tape drives fast enough or because they wanted to use
their drives around the clock.  Disk-based staging units alleviated that
problem, and it's free.  We use it a lot.

I expect we'll be doing some disk storage units eventually, mostly
offsite, but I don't expect to see us seriously investigating VTL
technologies.

Cheers,
        .../Ed

--