Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 client on RH4 - supported?

2005-12-01 07:38:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 client on RH4 - supported?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 06:38:00 -0600
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 07:56:03AM -0600, Dave Weiler wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 16:19 +0100, Jonas Blåberg wrote:
> >  But is it supported to use a NB 5.X client together with NB 4.5
> > server at all? I know there is backward compatibility but is there
> > forward compatibility as well?
>
> No, you have to have the master/media server at the same or a higher
> release level than the client.  A 5.x client with a 4.5 server is not
> supported.

The only exception to this rule that I'm aware of is the VMS client.
It's smart enough to change what it's doing depending on the version of
the master.  The developer for this client has done a superb job (and
I'm a long-time VMS bigot who was very reluctant to use a non-native
backup client).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA