Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Crossroads question

2005-11-17 15:21:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Crossroads question
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:21:40 -0800 (PST)
> Does anyone use a Crossroads 6000 (fiber-to-scsi) device that has a
> parameter turned on called "Buffered Tape Writes"?  Any idea what impact
> this would have on tape drive performance using netbackup?

I've not used a 6000, but I remember the term from older units.  I
believe it is supposed to improve performance by directly acknowledging
tape writes into a buffer on the bridge and then pushing them to the
tape later.

If true, it could also lose data if it were to crash after it had
acknowleged data from the backup server, but before it sent it to the
tape.  That's something for you to figure out if it's worth it.

http://www.crossroads.com/downloads/tempfiles/CRDS6000_UserManual.pdf
Section 4.4