Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Some drives running slower than others ? Anyone seen this, please?

2005-11-08 18:30:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Some drives running slower than others ? Anyone seen this, please?
From: j AT joostm DOT nl (Joost Mulders)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:30:15 +0100
When drives get to their end of life, the heads are worn out and don't
"see" very well the difference between a 1 and a 0. If this is detected
[by CRC f.e.] the drive winds back and does the read or write again. It
will give up after several tries, thereby reporting a fatal error. It
could be that this re-checking is happening.

On some OS's you can run iostat -E and observe "soft" or "recoverable"
errors. If this is non-zero, that's what's happening.

HTH, Joost