Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing / Streaming

2005-11-03 05:04:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing / Streaming
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:04:35 +1100
------=_Part_12383_26827198.1131012275190

Simon

I believe this will happen -

Your first job will kick off at 6PM with 3 streams. All these streams will
go to one tape drive, because you have the MPX value on the schedule set at
3.

The second policy will start at 7PM and generate another 3 streams. All
these streams will go to a second tape drive, for the same reason.

With the schedule's MPX setting at 3, you will never get more than 3 stream=
going to the drive that that schedule is backing up to, regardless of what
MPX setting you have on the storage unit.

I always set the MPX value on the schedule to the maximum (32 if I recall
correctly) and manage the number of streams at the storage unit level.

We could could give more specific real-world advice if we knew exactly what
you are trying to do. Are the clients IP connected, or are they media
servers? If IP, what network speed? What kind of tape drives? Do you want t=
be able to spread the I/O out across all 5 tape drives?

Cheers
Dean

On 11/2/05, WEAVER, Simon <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:

> Hi can I have some opinions please?
> I am deeply concerned about backup speeds, and trying to get my head
> around
> streaming and multiplexing.
>
> I have 3 available tape drives and I have 2 policies that I intend to run
> tonight. I want both policies to use the available drives where possible.
>
> I have told NBU I have 5 drives available - 2 are offline at the moment,
> but
> 3 are readily there.
>
> The 1st policy will start at 6pm and contains 3 streams
>
> The 2nd Policy starts at 7pm and contains 3 streams.
>
> Both of the policies both state "Media Multiplexing" is set for 3
>
> NBU Master Storage Unit is set for "Max Multiplexing per drive" is 6.
>
> Does this sound right or have I missed the point?
>
> Thank you for any input!
>
> Simon
>

> This email is for the intended addressee only.
> If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain,
> disseminate or otherwise deal with it.
> Please notify the sender by return email.
> The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of EADS
> Astrium Limited.
> Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or
> obligation.
>
> EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259
> Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS,
> England

------=_Part_12383_26827198.1131012275190

Simon<br>
I believe this will happen - <br>
Your first job will kick off at 6PM with 3 streams. All these streams
will go to one tape drive, because you have the MPX value on the
schedule set at 3.<br>
The second policy will start at 7PM and generate another 3 streams. All
these streams will go to a second tape drive, for the same reason.<br>
With the schedule's MPX setting at 3, you will never get more than 3
streams going to the drive that that schedule is backing up to,
regardless of what MPX setting you have on the storage unit.<br>
I always set the MPX value on the schedule to the maximum (32 if I
recall correctly) and manage the number of streams at the storage unit
level.<br>
We could could give more specific real-world advice if we knew exactly
what you are trying to do. Are the clients IP connected, or are they
media servers? If IP, what network speed? What kind of tape drives? Do
you want to be able to spread the I/O out across all 5 tape drives?<br>
Cheers<br>
Dean<br>
me">WEAVER, Simon</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT
net">=
simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote
class=3D"gma=
il_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0=
pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
up speeds, and trying to get my head around<br>streaming and multiplexing.<=
br><br>I have 3 available tape drives and I have 2 policies that I intend t=
o run
e.<br><br>I have told NBU I have 5 drives available - 2 are offline at the =
 and contains 3 streams
 the policies both state &quot;Media Multiplexing&quot; is set for 3<br><br=
>NBU Master Storage Unit is set for &quot;Max Multiplexing per drive&quot; =
is 6.
ddressee only.<br>If you have received it in error then you must not use, r=
etain, disseminate or otherwise deal with it.
y not necessarily constitute the views of EADS Astrium Limited.<br>Nothing =
in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation=
.
r>Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS, =
illist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;
mailman DOT eng=
.auburn.edu</a><br><a href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinf=