Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reusing imported media

2005-10-27 13:22:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reusing imported media
From: aaron.mills AT returnpath DOT net (Aaron Mills)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:22:22 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5DB1A.FDA3E91C

We just moved to a new master/media server. I am in the process of
importing all the media from our old master/media server (Phase I, Phase
II), but I didn't find much information on actually reusing imported
media. Specifically, I've got a couple of old catalog tapes that I'm
guessing I no longer need to save for restores, and a few tapes that are
half full.

Do I need to wait until all backup images have expired off a tape before
being allowed to put it back into regular rotation for backups on the
new server? Also what's the best way to approach that?

        -Aaron

Aaron Mills
System Administrator
Return Path, Inc.
303.642.4111
amills AT returnpath DOT net
http://www.returnpath.biz

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5DB1A.FDA3E91C

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.0.5770.91">
<TITLE>Reusing imported media</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We just moved to a new master/media =
server. I am in the process of importing all the media from our old =
master/media server (Phase I, Phase II), but I didn't find much =
information on actually reusing imported media. Specifically, I've got a =
couple of old catalog tapes that I'm guessing I no longer need to save =
for restores, and a few tapes that are half full.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Do I need to wait until all backup =
images have expired off a tape before being allowed to put it back into =
regular rotation for backups on the new server? Also what's the best way =
to approach that?</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">-Aaron</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Aaron Mills</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">System Administrator</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Return Path, Inc.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">303.642.4111</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">amills AT returnpath DOT net</FONT>

<BR><A HREF=3D"http://www.returnpath.biz";><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">http://www.returnpath.biz</FONT></U></A>
</P>
<BR>