Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] system settings and tuning

2005-10-26 10:51:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] system settings and tuning
From: Anderson.Mccammont AT morganstanley DOT com (McCammont, Anderson (IT))
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:51:55 +0100
scsi or fibre attached?  any errors on the connections - 5MB/s is lousy
- where's your data coming from?  If a remote client check for speed and
duplex mismatches.
what do you get from doing a 'dd bs=256k' of local data direct to the
tape drive - ie take netbackup out of the picture.
When that's at a sensible spped, backup the local files with netbackup
and ensure you get similar throughput.
Then look at a network backup.

how much memoryon the master?  assuming you have plenty, say >2GB, for
lto2 use
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS     64
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS               262144
NET_BUFFER_SZ           262144

have these in /etc/system, change the ge for the equiv for your NICs
* netbackup  shared mem, sem and msg params
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmap=65536
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmni=65536
set msgsys:msginfo_msgtql=65536
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmnb=16384000
set msgsys:msginfo_msgseg=32767
set msgsys:msginfo_msgssz=2048
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1024
* see infodoc ID71160
* monitor with
* kstat -c net | egrep 'nocanput|blocked'
* kstat -n ge0 -s rx_overflow
* and 20040615
set sq_max_size=0x64
* gigE flow control
set ge:ge_adv_pauseTX=1
* bpjobd swallows file descriptors
set rlim_fd_max=65535
set rlim_fd_cur=2048

set your network switches to send and receive pause frames if using
gigE.