Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] rman oracle backup performance

2005-10-24 16:02:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] rman oracle backup performance
From: cballowe AT gmail DOT com (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:02:40 -0500
Seems your script assumes that the database isn't open -- odd
assumption for an RMAN script - especially one that looks to be doing
hot backups. I'm not sure there's any reason to have the "alter
database open;" line in the script, unless you've got something
shutting down your database and bringing it partly up before the
script runs.

I don't know if you're reading the "hangs" correctly. RMAN output
tends to start a backup piece and output all of the data files that
are going into that backup piece, then start feeding those to tape.
It's in a proprietary format so it's reading the datafiles from
multiple points and interleaving them is some fashion that it knows
how to decipher later. What you're probably seeing is the beginning of
a new backup piece each time there's log output. More interesting
would be to watch your tape/network IO and see that there is actually
data flowing freely.

-Charlie