Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Large Windows Clients

2005-10-20 12:53:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Large Windows Clients
From: Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com (Weber, Philip)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:53:05 +0100
Master/Media :  Solaris 9 with NBU 5.1.
Client :  Win2K / Win2003.
Storage :  EMC Clariion / IBM ESS.

Hi all, we have got a couple of Windows fileservers of around 1.5 Tb
(which is a lot of data for us, at least in terms of the time taken to
back up...)

We have had some success with Solaris & Oracle, using Advanced Client to
backup offhost (media server) with Vxfs / nbu_snap snapshots and I would
like to do the same sort of thing for our Windows clients.  However, the
options seem to be more limited, i.e. to FlashSnap and offhost/alternate
client.  I am not sure this would get the data off the network and onto
the fibre or how relevant FlashSnap would be for us.

What sort of things do other people do to back up large Windows boxes?
At present I have to use file lists to attempt to split the drives into
multiple streams, and in general all the data is on one drive and hence
going to one tape drive.  I know this means that with LTO2 I *should* be
able to get this down to around 10 hours, but this isn't happening
(network/client server size limitations I think), and anyway as the
servers grow it will become worse.  I am trying to look across the board
to see the best way of doing this, and struggling a bit as I am a UNIX
person...

Ideally I would like to
o  use some snapshot technology to potentially keep backup images for
restore
o  transfer data over the fibre rather than network
o  remove load from the client
o  split the backup more sensibly i.e. without being limited to the
drive letters
(o  and reduce the amount of data ... but that's another discussion!)

thanks for any suggestions,

regards, Phil
Egg plc

Egg is a trading name of the Egg group of companies which includes: Egg
plc (reg no
2448340), Egg Financial Intermediation Ltd
(reg no 3828289), and Egg Banking plc (reg
no 2999842). Egg Banking plc and Egg
Financial Intermediation Ltd are authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority (FSA) and are entered in the FSA
register under numbers 205621 and 309551
respectively. These members of the Egg group
are registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: 1 Waterhouse Square, 138-
142 Holborn, London EC1N 2NA.

This e-mail is confidential and for use by
the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail and have
received it in error, please return the
message to the sender by replying to it and
then delete it from your mailbox. Internet e-
mails are not necessarily secure. The Egg
group of companies do not accept
responsibility for changes made to this
message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to
avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that the onward transmission, opening or use
of this message and any attachments will not
adversely affect its systems or data. No
responsibility is accepted by the Egg group
of companies in this regard and the
recipient should carry out such virus and
other checks as it considers appropriate.

This communication does not create or modify
any contract.