Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Master Server - DR planning

2005-10-19 11:39:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Master Server - DR planning
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:39:50 +0100
WEAVER, Simon wrote:

>Hi Everyone
>I am looking at ways to protect Netbackup, more importantly, all the
>configuration issue, policies and importantly, the tape images.
>
>I have Cataloge backups running after each scheduled backups that take
>place, and I have them set to alternate between tapes. Today I also ran a
>catalogue backup to a hard drive.
>
>But in order to get NBU online as FAST as possible, I wanted to look at
>doing an "offline" backup of the Veritas\Netbackup Folder.
>
>If I stop all Netbackup Services on the Win2k3 Server, what folders would be
>the essential ones to ensure I can recover netbackup as fast as possible?
>
>Appreciate any input into this.
>
>Simon Weaver
>Technical Support
>Windows Domain Administrator
>
>EADS Astrium
>Tel: 02392-705354
>
>Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net

I just run this every day in a script from cron. As no backups are
running the catalogues wont change so you have accurate info.
This script is pretty old and was from my 3.2 days so theres much better
ways of checking jobs are running.

I also then sync this over to a DR site with a backup server with the
same name. Then i can bprecover the first site catalogues and the
DR site will beable to read the tapes from the first site and restore to
alternate clients.

Hope it helps :-

#!/bin/sh
#Dave M
#Backs netbackup databases up to disk to ftp to DR site

DPATH=/usr/openv/netbackup/Backup_DBs/dr_site
COMMAND=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb
LOGFILE=/var/netbackup/backupdbs.log
FAILSAFEHOUR=15
someonewhocares=someone@somewhere

if [ ! -d $DPATH ]
then
        mkdir -p $DPATH
fi

if [ ! -d /var/netbackup ]
then
        mkdir /var/netbackup
fi

while [ 1 ]
do
    BUPROCS=`ps -ef | grep bpsched | grep -v grep | wc -l`
    test $BUPROCS -eq 0 && break
    HOUR=`date +%H`
    test $HOUR -ge $FAILSAFEHOUR && break
    sleep 300
done

rm $DPATH/*.gz

echo "Backing up Netbackup Databases on `/usr/bin/date`" > $LOGFILE
$COMMAND -dpath $DPATH >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
/usr/bin/ls -l $DPATH >> $LOGFILE

#Gzip IMAGEs to reduce space
/usr/bin/gzip -f $DPATH/IMAGE1*

/usr/bin/cat $LOGFILE | /usr/bin/mailx -s "`/usr/bin/uname -n` netbackup
datbases archive" $someonewhocares