Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] partitioning a ADIC Scalar 24 w/FC

2005-10-07 06:14:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] partitioning a ADIC Scalar 24 w/FC
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:14:47 +0100
Hmm, I don't immediately see why adding a zone with the NetApp is spoiling
it.

<<So configured as above, the NB server should see only robot and a single
drive, and the filer should see just one drive?

That's right. Make sure you don't present the library 'partition' i.e. the
robot control to the NetApp, just the drive.

It is possible there is a problem, I've heard of other occasions where a
NetApp could not be in the same zone - but should be OK in an overlapping
zone like this.  I'm basing my advice on a Scalar i2000 and the AMC
manual.  My Scalar 24 is on order....

Worst case you could try the other way round, control the robot over NDMP
from the NetApp, give the other server just a drive.....

William D L Brown

"Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
06-Oct-2005 14:38

william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com, "Veritas List"
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc

Subject
RE: [Veritas-bu] partitioning a ADIC Scalar 24 w/FC

Check.

> Use separate zones - always have only one initiator in any SAN zone.

Check.

> So now both the filer and the server can 'see' the fibre
> router embedded
> in the library.

Working on this....an sgscan from the NB server will "see" the drives
and robot, but end up only coming "up" in AVR control, unless there is
only one zone......(NB server and library)...adding a second zone with
Filer and Library seems to "pooch" things.

> Now you use the AMC software in the router, to configure the
> presentation
> of the SCSI devices on the fibre channel.  You should find
> that you can
> select the host initiator (the router should by now have been
> logged into
> by the initiators).   The AMC software then lets you choose from the
> available SCSI-side resources - you will see the 'partition'
> aka the robot
> control - and the drives.  You choose what FC LUN you want
> them mapped to.
>  You should also see the control LUN, always LUN 0.
>
> So you can say set the robot as LUN 1 and one drive as LUN 2 for the
> server.  The other drive you can set also as LUN 1, but to
> the filer.

That's the way I want it....Master with robot and one drive, filer with
the other drive.

> Then on those systems rescan for devices, and you should see
> them - then
> you go on to configure the devices in the OS-dependant way.

So configured as above, the NB server should see only robot and a single
drive, and the filer should see just one drive?

> Read the
> Veritas PDFs on specific platform support for NDMP, as well
> as the main
> NDMP document - it covers what you need for the filer.
>
> Oh, and you need a tape FC HBA in the filer - different part
> number to the
> standard disk FC cards.

Check.

Thanks!!