Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] partitioning a ADIC Scalar 24 w/FC

2005-10-06 04:44:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] partitioning a ADIC Scalar 24 w/FC
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:44:45 +0100
You need a SAN switch.   You connect both the filer and the server to the
switch, and zone both to the fibre connection for the Scalar 24.

Use separate zones - always have only one initiator in any SAN zone.

So now both the filer and the server can 'see' the fibre router embedded
in the library.

Now you use the AMC software in the router, to configure the presentation
of the SCSI devices on the fibre channel.  You should find that you can
select the host initiator (the router should by now have been logged into
by the initiators).   The AMC software then lets you choose from the
available SCSI-side resources - you will see the 'partition' aka the robot
control - and the drives.  You choose what FC LUN you want them mapped to.
 You should also see the control LUN, always LUN 0.

So you can say set the robot as LUN 1 and one drive as LUN 2 for the
server.  The other drive you can set also as LUN 1, but to the filer. You
don't actually say the server needs a drive - you don't have to present
it, you can just present the robot.

Then on those systems rescan for devices, and you should see them - then
you go on to configure the devices in the OS-dependant way.   Read the
Veritas PDFs on specific platform support for NDMP, as well as the main
NDMP document - it covers what you need for the filer.

Oh, and you need a tape FC HBA in the filer - different part number to the
standard disk FC cards.

I guess in theory you can direct SCSI-attach the drive to the filer, in
which case the SCSI ID is whatever it is set on the drive.  Then you could
manage without the switch and direct fibre-attach the router to the
server.  That would be a bit unusual, and you would need all the hardware
the right cable distance apart.

William D L Brown

"Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
05-Oct-2005 16:30

"Veritas List" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] partitioning a ADIC Scalar 24 w/FC

I'm doing some testing in my lab, and my lab library is an Adic Scalar 24
with an FC bridge, and 2 LTO2 drives.

So, the drives are both SCSI, as is the library, but the FC bridge
interfaces the robot internally, and has external SCSI cables to connect
to the two drives.

I'm doing some NDMP testing with a NetApp gf940, and need to connect the
filer to a drive, and the NB Master server to the robot.

the FC bridge has only one FC interface, and obliterates the SCSI
interface to the picker.

any ideas on setting this up?

Thanks,
Paul