Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] Resources & backup commitments

2005-10-03 17:28:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] Resources & backup commitments
From: MarkP AT spectralogic DOT com (Mark Pinder)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:28:53 -0600
Hi Bobby,
        As an SE for a Backup Hardware Vendor (thatâ??s NOT STK â?º), I can
tell you that I encounter many customer's who are running much larger
environments than you described with one body and (if that person is lucky)
someone to back them up or at least partially cover so they can take a vacation
once in a while. I have also seen customer's with equivalent kinds of
environments with 2 or 3 people working on them and doubling as Sys Admins.
        I think it would be useful for you to see where you spend your time in
managing backups? If it's on maintenance/troubleshooting due to failures, you
may have a problem with your Hardware or configuration. If it is on managing
the complexities of the environment, then you may need to take some time and
work through a simplification scheme. Backups are tough, but they should not be
requiring a lot of babysitting. Your responsibility for backups on the systems
you don't own can be problematic if access is an issue. If there are enormous
levels of restore requests, this can be a time suck as well.  If you take a
good look at where your time is spent with this process, you might be able to
see where changing 'X' (where X is anything from HW to SW to scheduling, to
policy setup, to distributing work (I.E. what Charles said about patching and
restores), could reduce your workload for backups.
        One way or another if you spend a lot of time managing backups, then
something isn't right and a systemic analysis is probably in order to identify
where/how things can be made better.

Mark Pinder : Systems Engineer: 303-449-6444 x1551
                                         Cell: 720-394-0732
Spectra Logic : 1700 N 55th Street Boulder, CO 80301 US