Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 Buffer Setting Recommendation - NEW QUESTION

2005-09-27 13:56:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 Buffer Setting Recommendation - NEW QUESTION
From: kris.williams AT hp DOT com (Williams, Kristopher L)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:56:14 -0500
Hello all,

So I've started the long path of trying to get good performance out of
my LTO3 drives.

Let me start by saying my master is Win2k SP4 running NBU MP3. The media
server is Win2k3 running NBU 5.0 MP3 with a 1 dedicated fiber channel
card for the LTO3 drive (connected through a brocade SAN switch).

This server has 4 2tb disks coming off of dedicated HBA's from a HP disk
subsystem. I ran a multistreamed backup from 3 disks to the one LTO3
drive and was only able to get about 15mb per second per stream. This is
only about 45mb total throughput to the tape drive.

I have this message in the bptm log so I don't think increasing the
amount or size of buffers will help because it doesn't appear the server
can fill them quick enough.

 <2> write_backup_completion_stats: waited for full buffer 122203 times,
delayed 124245 times

If I map everything out, I can see the data coming from the subsystem
switch port going to the disk HBA in the server, then going out the tape
HBA in the server and hitting the tape drive. All the numbers remain at
the 45-50mb per second.

Is this just a simple exercise of breaking my 4 2tb disks down into
smaller 500gb disks and running more streams to my tape drive? Any one
have any suggestions or watchouts?

Thanks,

Kris