Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ****Statsu Code - 71 Errors *****

2005-09-27 11:57:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ****Statsu Code - 71 Errors *****
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:57:01 -0600
OK - It's because of the combination of settings.

Here's a snip from your bplist:

Policy Name:       Oracle_dwny

  Policy Type:         Standard
  Active:              yes
<snip>

  Mult. Data Streams:  yes

<snip>

  Include:  /dw00
            /dw01
            /dw02
            /dw03
            /caps00
            /caps01
            /caps02
            /caps03
            /apps

You've got Multiple Data Streams turned on and a filelist specified.  Since
you don't have any NEW_STREAM directives in your include list, Netbackup, by
default, will spawn a job per item in the Include list.  This means that you
get one job per client per Include item.

So, now you've got a job on a server with a single filesystem/directory in
it (because of the way NB parses the job).  When that filesystem/directory
is not there, you get the error 71.

You've got a couple choices for a fix.

1. turn off multistream backups.  Each server will backup serially through
the include list and skip missing directories/filesystems.  Recommended if
you've got the time to backup the data in a serial fashion.

2. break the policy into multiple policies, with a limited Include list for
the one server that's short Filesystems.  I don't like this because it's
more to manage.

3. (My recommendation if you still need multiple streams), break the policy
into intentional sets so that one filesystem is always in the backup list
per client per job, ie:

NEW_STREAM
/caps00
/dw00
NEW_STREAM
/caps01
/dw01
NEW_STREAM
/caps02
/dw02
NEW_STREAM
/caps03
/dw03
NEW_STREAM
/apps

..etc..

3a. Or, "spoof" the list if you don't want to group this way:

NEW_STREAM
/etc/passwd
/dw00
NEW_STREAM
/etc/passwd
/dw01
NEW_STREAM
/etc/passwd
/dw02

...etc...

This last method is so that the images worklist always includes one valid
file & doesn't "71" on you.  It does mean more images to manage, though.

HTH - Mark