Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] restore selection large amount of files takes too long or failes

2005-09-27 03:37:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] restore selection large amount of files takes too long or failes
From: rolfcolmer AT hotmail DOT com (Rolf C)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:37:49 +0000
Hello all,

I've done a full Flashbackup with NB5.1MP3a on Windows 2003 of a single
Windows 2003 partition containing nearly 16.000.000 files in 711GB. This
backup takes about 13 hours to complete and this is acceptable.

Now i need to restore a single directory.

So i start the Netbackup Backup, Restore and Archive console and browse for
the backup set. Now i've seen two possible scenario's.

1. After some time the Backup, Restore and Archive console shuts down with
an insufficient memory error (the machine has 2GB RAM and plenty harddisk
space)
2. The Backup, Restore and Archive console seems to hang but consumes more
and more RAM. After some hours i kill the process because it takes too long.

So although we use Flashbackup to backup the large amount of files we are
not able to perform a restore when needed.

Anyone here with suggestions to speedup this process?